The church continued to attract people from the village and local villages to the evening service, where, when the weather was cold, a large coke stove was lit in the centre of the church. For long periods there was no Sunday morning service. Small groups of the congregation walked three or four miles along the dark narrow lanes from places as far away as Stansted and Fairseat to the evening service. Families would link arms and sing choruses as they walked. The Sunday School thrived and organized outings to the seaside for the children. Total abstinence from alcohol was promoted and the church had a ‘Band of Hope’ with weekly meetings for teetotallers, arranging frequent outings, marches and lantern shows.
In the 1940s and 1950s the church went into decline, even though the population of the village was expanding rapidly as families moved out of London to a home in the countryside. It is recorded that Bert Wilkins would cycle from Stansted to open the church for just three people: the preacher, the organist, and himself! In 1956 the membership was 13 and the church had been ‘in low water for some time’. Derek Deavin was lay pastor of the church from 1957 to 1961. When he arrived the Sunday evening congregation was six to twelve in number. There was no morning service. A small Sunday School and a ‘Women’s Bright Hour’ met once a week. To aid the church it was merged with Eynsford Baptist Church, which had its own pastor and which could help to revive the church.
Under Derek Deavin’s care the church began to grow, particularly through a Caravan Mission held in 1958, when 26 children and one adult became Christians. But early in 1960 trouble erupted and church members and some of the leadership stepped down, leaving the church bereft of the personnel to run its activities. The Sunday School was closed. In August 1961 Derek Deavin completed his lay pastorship and was replaced on a part-time basis by Edward Brayshaw, living in Otford..
Under Edward Brayshaw’s care the church underwent both change and growth. By the time he left due to pressure of a full-time job in 1969 the church was in better health. A monthly family service had been added in the morning to supplement the regular evening services. The Sunday School was thriving again and there was a small group of young people. The building itself had been improved.
On 5 July 1970 the Revd. Eric Eyre was inducted as part-time minister. He was paid £8 a week and found a part-time job in a local printing firm to supplement his income. His church wage was half the weekly collection. From 1970 to 1976 the church membership grew again, increasing to around 50. A weekly morning service brought families into the church. A young people’s organization, the Covenanters, was started and there was a weekly prayer meeting to pray for mission outreach in the community. Eventually the demands of the church due to the growth meant that the church invited Eric, then training at Spurgeon’s College to become an accredited minister, to move to full-time ministry. The demands also meant that the church building, for the first time in over 100 years, was no longer adequate. Land adjacent to and behind the plot was acquired. A new church was needed.
When Eric Eyre called on John Sansom, a local quantity surveyor, with the proposal to build both a new church hall and church, the church funds stood at around £2900, with £2000 set aside to buy the land needed. The work was estimated to cost around £18,000 and not only would they have to raise the money needed, the congregation would have to build the church themselves, working Saturday after Saturday. In the end the final cost was nearer to £30,000. Over three years - 93 days and 26 evenings filled with the effort of 27 men, 8 women and 4 children - first the church hall and then the toolshed church were dismantled and rebuilt. When the work was finished the church’s bank balance stood at £2117. Somehow, while the church had maintained its giving to missionary work, God had provided all the costs the church had incurred. The new church was opened on Saturday 4 July 1981.